As already mentioned, the area of today’s Business and Industry Zonbe Tezno had once been occupied by the famous TAM factory (Tovarna avtomobilov Maribor), which marked the area with notable trace of modern industrial development.
The very beginnings of the TAM factory go as back as 1942, when the factory was built by the Germans. The factory then produced aviation parts for the purposes of war industry.
An important piece of heritage is represented by underground passages that were built on a great scale in 1943 due to the risk of being attacked from the air. The passages occupying area of 2,1 acres served as an emergency site, where the production could have continued even in case of attacks on the factory, which was quite a frequent event at the time. Part of the passages can still be seen today.
Bombilng of military and indstry facilities in Maribor.
Soon, the production focused in motorized vehicles, and the factory was named Tovarna avtomobilov Maribor in 1946. The logotype (three circles and a five-pointed star) was designed by the architect Jaroslav Černigoj. The inspiration was drawn from one of the stained glass windows in Notre Dame, Paris. The logotype was officially rgistered in February 1947, and it was used as such right until the closure of the factory.
After 50 years of operation, bankruptcy was declared in 1996 and several thousands of employees began to fight for their day-to-day survival. Their either had to retire prematurely or register as unemployed. TAM used to be the largest factory in Maribor for a very long time. It was the employer of the every tenth citizen of Maribor.
Fourteen MPP (Maribor restructuring project) companies were established, which took over the programs and the employees of the former factory. There was a lack of resources for new investment, so the companies started to seek new strategic partners right away.
All the assets owned by the former factory were sold to a consortium of 22 companies by the liquidator. Among those companies, the largest share was gained by the Slovenian Development Fund (SRS), which later sold all its shares and no longer participated in the companies.
In the beginning of 2000, the Business and Industry Zone Tezno launched its operation. Zavod PPC Tezno Institute was entrusted with the management of complete infrastructure, networking with municipal administration and energy product supply. In the matter of years, the Institute became the driving force of the zone.
Throughout these years, metal-processing industry developed the most, as well as large-scale automotive parts production and specific production systems. Contractors and complementary activities gradually filled the portfolio. The scope of service activities increased quickly, including activities utilizing excellent expertise and great added value.
When new companies came, external image changed as well. Old production halls, previously used by TAM, modern buildings popped up, but the Tezno Zone still offers space for new challenges – about 267 acres of land in need of transport and communal infrastructure needed in order to catch the attention of foreign investors.